The Allison Elementary building was constructed in 1896 at Allison Ave.& Weyer St. In 1901 the school opened a high school (building on right) in an old building that was already on the property. In 1914 the elementary school took over the high school for extra classroom space when the high school moved into a new building on Sherman Ave. (see below). The old house burned in 1917 and so a new 12-room structure was built for the elementary school at Allison Ave. & Courtland Ave..
Ad for postcards on back of this card.
Present Day School built in 1917 Allison School class
The school now known as Norwood Middle School was constructed in 1912. The bottom row are photographs. Like many schools in their day as seen in the last two images there were separate entrances for the boys & girls.
Norwood High School Sherman Ave. near Sexton built in 1914.
Norwood Middle School Today Girls Entrance Boys Entrance
The center card below says Marion Avenue School but that is a mis-print. The two photographs below show the Williams Avenue School that replaced the old one in 1917.
Williams Ave. School (Old) North side Williams Ave., opposite Spencer Ave.
The North Norwood Elementary school was built in 1891 at the corner of Marion and Highland Aves. The new fireproof structure seen in the cards below was erected in 1915 and went by the name of Marion Street School. In 1981 the girls only Marion H.S. merged with the boys only Purcell school in 1981-82 and was renamed Purcell Marion H.S. The building now houses the Hamilton County Educational Service Center as seen in the last photo below.
St. Elizabeth Parochial School was on the West side of Carter between Lincoln Ave. and Courtland Ave.
St. Elizabeth's School Back of last card
Now Known As The
Norwood Community Center
Central School was the first school house in Norwood and was located at Main (Montgomery Pike) and Elm Avenues.
The original Central School
The Sharpsburg Elementary School was built in 1910, at Smith Road, Robertson Ave. and Forest Ave., to replace the Central School above. It was the first school in Norwood to have a cafeteria installed in 1919. The building is now home to the Norwood Service League, Head Start, and a childcare program. It was named Sharpsburg after the original name of the Norwood village.
These are photographs
Regina High School was an all-girls Catholic school that was founded in 1928. Built in Norwood Heights next to the seminary and Archbishop Henry Moeller's home at the corner of Fenwick and Quatman Aves (5400 Fenwick Avenue.) The property was donated to the Catholic Church by the Norwood Heights Co. in the hopes of attracting investors to the area. The school was operated by the Sisters of the Precious Blood for 49 years. It closed in 1977. The Grotto of Our Lady of Lourdes is seen in the foreground of the 2nd card while in the distance can be seen the statue of Our Lady of Grace.
Regina High School
This school known as Samuel Ach Junior High was built in 1907-08 at 3485 Reading Road (corner of Reading Rd. & Rockdale Ave.). It was demolished in 1975-76.
Class of 1908
University School Columbian High School. Harvey Avenue & Union
HYDE PARK SCHOOLS
The Hyde Park School located at 3401 Observatory Avenue has been at this location since 1823. In that year the 2 room Mornington School was erected on the 16 acres of land that had been purchased. Changes were made over the years until it looked like what you see in the 1st image below. Finally, in 1902, the school you see in the next 2 rows was built. Because of increased attendance, by 1925, more room was needed and so in 1927 an addition to the school was completed and can be seen in the 4th row below.
Not a postcard
Building below replaced
this school building
Hyde Park School 3401 Observatory Ave.
The school below is located at 2488 Madison Road opened in 1919 and was known as East High School, in 1926 the name was changed to Withrow. Consisting of nine separate buildings on 28 acres of land it was regarded as one of the nations most beautiful schools. The 3rd card below seems to show some special occasion because of all the people entering the buildings.
The clock tower stands 114' high.
Industrial Arts Building The Bird Bath The Tower & Bridge The Gymnasium The Organ
The Lunch Room The Library The Auditorium The Bridge
Non-postcard images of Withrow High School
Withrow (East High School) architects drawings
Power plant & Industrial Arts Bldg. Gymnasium & Stadium Auditorium Footbridge
FOR MORE SCHOOLS