Seminary in 1848
Walnut Hills Henry Beecher's first church
Lyman Beecher was the founder of the Lane Seminary (1829-1932) and he had five children. One of his sons, Henry Ward Beecher, upon graduation from his father's school went to Lawrenceburg, Indiana where he led the Presbyterian church seen in the above card. He left after two years and moved to Indianapolis, Indiana. His most famous sister Harriet Beecher Stowe (1811-1896) who, of course, wrote one of the most famous books ever written, Uncle Tom's Cabin, or Life Among the Lowly. For nearly 30 years she wrote a book a year. She died in 1896.
Harriet Beecher Stowe Henry Ward & Harriet
Not a postcard
The Eliza house, seen in the cards above, was part of the former Lane Seminary. It was built in 1833 to house the president of the Seminary. Harriet and most of her 11 brothers and sisters lived with their father in this house. Harriet lived here from 1833 until her marriage in 1836, with her first two children (twins) being born here. It was located at the intersection of Oak and Chester sts. in Glendale, it is now located at 2950 Gilbert Ave. in Walnut Hills. It was known for years as one of the most active "stations" along the Underground Railroad.. Today it is owned by the Ohio Historical Society, and is operated by volunteers of the Friends of the Harriet Beecher Stowe House, Inc.
Harriet Beecher Stowe's FDC
Harriet Beecher Stowe was honored with a 75c stamp on June 13, 2007 in Cincinnati. This is the First Day Cover seen above.
SACRED HEART SEMINARY
8101 Beachmont Ave. Nativity Diorama built by
Sons of the Sacred Heart Scholastics
8108 Beechmont Ave.
CINCINNATI BIBLE SEMINARY
Located at 2700 Glenway Avenue
This seminary was first organized in 1923 and was located in the West End on West Eighth Street. Merging with the McGarvey Bible College in 1924 they moved to Grand and Maryland Avenues. In 1939 the school bought the Grandview Sanitarium at 2700 Glenway Avenue. It is now called the Cincinnati Christian University.
SISTERS OF THE POOR PROVINCIAL HOUSE & NOVITIATE
DOMINICAN MONASTERY OF PERPETUAL ADORATION
3020 Erie Avenue Hyde Park
The 2nd image above is a present day image of the Monastery.
Dining Room & Rec. Hall
Retreat House River Scene
Proposed Chapel Chapel Hall Chapel Community Chapel Chapel in Renewal Center
Glendale Episcopal Rectory
Built in 1875 the building is located at 940 Forest Avenue. The recent photograph on the right shows the building as it looks today, I believe it is now a private residence.
VARIOUS ACADEMIES AND SCHOOLS
Sacred Heart School Heywood Ave. Camp Washington St. Boniface Parochial School
Blue Rock & Lakeman
Mother of Mercy Academy and High School. Westwood
The Assumption School (1500 McMakin St.) was built in 1858 by the Church of the Assumption that was next door at 7712 Joseph Street. The original structure was replaced by the building you see above in 1908. This building had four classrooms plus living quarters for the nuns who served as teachers. Due to increased numbers of students, the nuns were forced to move so that their living quarters could be used for classrooms. A new building was erected in 1950. By 1969 enrollment stood at 1,050. Since then enrollment has decreased due to two new parochial schools in the area. In 1986 there were 409 students.
OUR LADY OF MERCY HIGH SCHOOL
The Our Lady of Mercy High School, constructed in 1897, was located at 1409 Freeman Ave. , now Western Avenue in the Queensgate neighborhood (next door to the Union Terminal). It was one of three Catholic high schools for girls founded by the Sisters of Mercy. The other two were Mother of Mercy in Westwood, and McAuley High School in College Hill. They also established a teachers training program and established Edgecliff College which was later sold to Xavier University. This building has now been converted into a job training center which offers academic and vocational training for low income families. The last two images above are not postcards. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 3, 1980.
Mt. Carmel Home
Sisters of Mercy
St. Clemens Parochial St. Patrick's School St. Pius New School
St. Bernard Northside Borden St. S. Cumminsville
German Catholic School Headquarters Glenmary Home Missioners
Reading Seminary of Our Lady of the Fields
Brothers Training Center
Summit Country Day School
2161 Grandin Road
The Oakwood Institute existed from 1923 to 1934 as a training school for women church workers. Located at 430 West Cliff Lane, (the address on first card is wrong), it was built between 1859 and 1865 at a cost of $500,000 for Henry Probasco. Probasco was the gentleman who gave Cincinnati The Tyler Davidson Fountain in memory of his brother-in-law. This mansion was noted for its hand carved woodwork which took 3 years to complete by two brothers, William and Henry Fry. Except for the Oakwood years this has always been a private residence. The last image above is a overhead view of the building as it looks today.
CINCINNATI KOLPING SOCIETY
Clubhouse located at the
Kolping Grove 9158 Winton Rd.
The German Kolping Society of Cincinnati was formed in 1924 and is located at 10235 Mill Road on 52 acres across the street from the St. Francis Seminary, from whom they purchased the land in 1981. The Clubhouse above is on 9+ acres of land bought in 1953.
The Crusade Castle is located next to Ault Park and overlooks the Miami River Valley. It is the National Center of the Catholic Students Mission Crusade serving over 3000 educational institutions in the U.S. in the field of student mission education and activity.
CONVENT OF MARY REPARATRIX
Retreat House Retreatant's Garden Chapel Lounge
METHODIST CHURCH LITERATURE HEADQUARTERS
Are you ready for this? This building is the Literature Headquarters of the Women's Division of Christian Service of the Board of Missions and Church Extension of the Methodist Church. It's located at 7820 Reading Road. The 3rd postcard is a painting of the building.
Farm at Grailville Community College Oratory-The Grail
Located at 932 O'Bannonville Road, Loveland, Ohio,
this is now the home to the National Grail Office. The Grail began in Holland in
1921 as a Catholic lay organization, called The Women of Nazareth. Although
founded by a Jesuit priest, Jacques Van Ginneken (1877-1949), it has always been
run by women. Working with young women in Holland, England, and Germany they
staged huge and colorful rallies and enacted religious dramas. At the invitation
of the Chicago Archbishop, two Grail women came to the United States in 1940.
They began their work at the Doddridge Farm, a summer camp in Libertyville,
Illinois. By 1944 the Grail had grown to sixteen women so they moved to a farm
in Loveland, Ohio. This farm is now Grailville. Over the years many new centers
were created around the country. Today there are still centers in San Jose,
California, Cornwall, New York, and in the Bronx.
The Grail members became pioneers in Catholic feminist theology and, in 1969, voted to admit women of all Christian faiths. In 1975 they welcomed Jewish women as well. The second image has a blank back.