Downtown Buildings 1

 


Buildings.jpg (816217 bytes)Key to Buildings.jpg (365290 bytes)  downtown-aerial4.jpg (199453 bytes)  1949 Entertainment Map.jpg (863296 bytes)  Building location map 4.jpg (473481 bytes)

   The second image above is the key to the names of the buildings seen in the first aerial photograph. This is rather awkward to use because it is in two parts but it was the only way I could present it. This was compiled in the 1970s. A more recent image in the 2nd view above is much more easier to use although many of the items mentioned are not buildings and some of the structures mentioned are not well known, it is still interesting. The next map is entirely different, it shows shopping, nightclubs and restaurants back in 1949. The last map (I promise) shows still more points of interest.

 

DIXIE  TERMINAL

Dixie Terminal Entrance 2.jpg (319140 bytes)        Dixie Terminal.jpg (335164 bytes)        Dixie Terminal.jpg (941073 bytes)        Dixie Terminal Staircase.jpg (644808 bytes)         Dixie Terminal Ceiling.jpg (604791 bytes)
Entrance          Looking toward entrance           Looking up                   Staircase                          Ceiling      
Photographs
Dixie Terminal.jpg (538244 bytes)
Old Image

 

Dixie Terminal 1.jpg (113800 bytes)    Dixie Terminal 2.jpg (115520 bytes)    Dixie Term-aa.jpg (141341 bytes)    Dixie Interior 1.jpg (103949 bytes)    Dixie Terminal Arcade.jpg (384421 bytes)    Dixie Interior 3.jpg (92199 bytes)
                                 Arcade

  The Dixie Terminal is located at the s. w. corner of 4th and Walnut. Constructed in 1921 it really consists of two structures. There is the 4 story south building which extends to 3rd Street for (at that time) the loading and unloading of passengers from streetcars from the northern Kentucky area (seen in the 6th postcard). Later on busses replaced the streetcar. The other structure was the 10 story north building which contain offices and shops plus the Cincinnati Stock Exchange. It is also notable for its 3 story Arcade. When it opened on October 21, 1921 it had more sq. footage than any other building in the city.

Dixie Terminal-1917.jpg (131908 bytes)            Dixie Terminal-3rd St. 1921.jpg (185624 bytes)            BEV Traction Bldg.jpg (1529687 bytes)  
These are not postcards

   The first, 1917,  photograph above shows 4th Street looking east with the Dixie Terminal building on the right. The second, 1921, photo is 3rd Street looking west. You can clearly see how the streetcars, and later busses, entered and left the terminal building. They entered using the closer ramp and made a left turn inside, they then left using the second, further, ramp. These ramps led directly to the Suspension Bridge over the Ohio. You can see it all in the third image.

 

GWYNNE  BUILDING

These are not postcards
Gwynne Building 1917.jpg (1547590 bytes)        Gwynne Building Cows.jpg (127876 bytes)        GwynneBuilding.jpg (1420795 bytes)

 

Gwynne Building 1.jpg (126730 bytes)        Gwynne Building 2.jpg (103426 bytes)        Gwynne Bldg-a2.jpg (103417 bytes)
N. E. corner 6th and Main 

   The Gwynne building was constructed in 1914 and named for the wife of Cornelius Vanderbilt II, Alice Gwynne Vanderbilt. Not seen in the postcards above is the decorative grillwork covering the central windows that consist of alternating G for Gwynne and V for Vanderbilt. From 1935 to 1956 this building was the headquarters for P&G, and is now the home for Richter & Phillips Co. jewelers. The top 3 are photographs with the center one showing one of the cow heads that can be seen around the building about 3/4s of the way up. On August 3, 1979 The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places.

 

  GROTON  BUILDING

Groton Building 1.jpg (104335 bytes)        Groton Building 2.jpg (100250 bytes)                        Groton Building 7th & Race.jpg (184549 bytes)
                        7th and Race                                                Present day photograph

   The Groton building was constructed in 1925. Over the years it once had a Dow's Drug Store and was used by the Central Trust. in 1997 it was converted into 42 apartments and is now called the Groton Lofts. There is a jazz club on the ground floor. As you can see the original building was considerably enlarged at some time?. Any help on when would be gratefully accepted. (possibly when converted to apartments).

 

INGALLS  BUILDING

M.Ingalls.jpg (306812 bytes)                Ingall Construction.jpg (574894 bytes)    Ingalls Construction.jpg (309819 bytes)               W.P.Anderson-builder.jpg (210940 bytes)
      M. Ingalls                                       These are not postcards                                  W. P. Anderson
                                                                                                                                          Builder

 

Ingals Building 1.jpg (105748 bytes)      Ingals Building 2.jpg (84051 bytes)      Ingalls-aa.jpg (110159 bytes)      Ingalls-bb.jpg (101343 bytes)      Ingalls-cc.jpg (136503 bytes)      Ingalls bldg-1a.jpg (103438 bytes)
                                                                                                                                                                             "Pine Street"

 

Ingalls bldg-1b.jpg (85727 bytes)      Ingalls bldg-1c.jpg (97227 bytes)      Ingalls bldg-1d.jpg (114882 bytes)      Ingalls bldg-1e.jpg (107812 bytes)      Ingalls bldg-1f.jpg (76309 bytes)      Ingolls-ax.jpg (92299 bytes)
                  "Ingals Bldg."                                        Same card-different traffic                    Glitter    "Ingolls"    Color             

 

Ingalls Building,.jpg (43287 bytes)                                        Ingalls Building.jpg (823409 bytes)    Ingalls Plaque.jpg (293978 bytes)

   The Ingalls Building located on the northeast corner 4th and Vine was Built in 1903 to a height of 210 feet with 16 stories, it was the worlds first reinforced concrete skyscraper. Melville Ingalls, president of the Big Four Railroad, was also president of the Merchant National Bank. He wanted to give the bank a new home so he commissioned the construction of the skyscraper to house the Bank. The project was delayed 2 years because city building officials were skeptical about the design of the 16-story building- a unheard of height for a concrete building in those days. Skeptics predicted that the building would collapse of its own weight. Finally the city building commissioner washed his hands of the whole thing and declared that Ingalls and the construction firm would be responsible for any accidents if it failed. Once completed in 1903 it is said that a local editor stood by along with other spectators waiting for it to collapse.  It remained the worlds tallest reinforced concrete structure until 1923 when it was surpassed by the 281 foot Medical Arts Building in Dallas, Texas.
   It was renamed the Transit Building and then the ACI Building before becoming the headquarters for Queen City Metro. It was designated a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark in 1973 by the American Society of Civil Engineers. The last two images are photographs with the last one showing a plaque that was installed in 1966 explaining the structures historical significance.

 

MERCHANTS  BUILDING

Merchants Building 1.jpg (95326 bytes)        Merchants Building 2.jpg (119220 bytes)
n. w. corner 6th and College

 

OHIO MECHANICS INSTITUTE

OMI 1851.jpg (831316 bytes)        OMI 2.jpg (144319 bytes)                Ohio Mechanics Institute 1.jpg (106188 bytes)
    1851                       Later Update                              Final Version

 

Ohio Mechanics Institute 2.jpg (124540 bytes)    OMI-9.jpg (328981 bytes)    OMI-ab.jpg (133764 bytes)    OMI-aa.jpg (130084 bytes)    Mechanics Institute-bb.jpg (124165 bytes)

 

OMI-8.jpg (345087 bytes)    Mechanics Institute-cc.jpg (111721 bytes)    OMI 3.jpg (470117 bytes)    Mechanics Institute-aa.jpg (119210 bytes)    Mechs Institute (1).jpg (481221 bytes)

 

Mechs Institute (2).jpg (559466 bytes)     OMI-7.jpg (331811 bytes)     OMI-woodshop.jpg (112896 bytes)     OMI Army Training Detachment.jpg (302067 bytes)     OMI Building.jpg (1050551 bytes)
                                                                                     Woodshop                  National Army Training     Present day photograph

   The O. M. I. is the oldest technical school west of the Alleghenies. Beginning in 1828 it had been located in several areas before they moved into the permanent building seen in the first row. The top row shows the development of their first building over the years. It was called Greenwood Hall and was located at 6th & Vine where it stood from 1848 until 1911, when they moved into the building shown in the other cards on the n. e. corner of Walnut and Canal (now Central Parkway). Greenwood Hall is where a young Thomas Edison read at the school's Apprentice's Library while working in Cincinnati as a telegraph operator. The founder, Miles Greenwood, was a manufacturer of iron products and was Cincinnati's first fire chief. This site was where Greenwood's Eagle Iron Works was located. In the last card I have no idea what kind of training the army was getting. O.M.I. is now part of the University of Cincinnati but still uses the building shown above.

The following non-postcard images are all from the institutes 1927 annual.

OMI Entrance.jpg (443934 bytes)        OMI Main Stairway.jpg (531097 bytes)        OMI Roof.jpg (497217 bytes)        OMI Conservatory.jpg (634702 bytes)
    Entrance                                Main Stairway                          Roof Garden                            Conservatory

 

OMI Chemistry Lab.jpg (438301 bytes)        OMI Machine Shop.jpg (412647 bytes)            OMI Mech. Lab & Power Plant.jpg (450383 bytes)
              Chemistry  Lab                          Machine Shop             Mechanical Lab & Power Plant

 

THE WESTERN & SOUTHERN LIFE INSURANCE CO.

Dexter Residence 1858-1914 4th & Broadway.jpg (865852 bytes)
The Dexter mansion

   The beautiful engraving above is of the Dexter Mansion that was located on the northeast corner of 4th and Broadway. Built in 1856 by Edmund Dexter who had made his fortune as an importer of liquors. It was considered one of Cincinnati's finest residences. In 1910 the Western Southern Life Insurance Company took over the home for offices and in 1914 the company demolished it to make room for its new building seen in the cards below. 

W and S Life Insurance 1.jpg (142296 bytes)    W and S Life Insurance 2.jpg (193904 bytes)    West & South Ins-1a.jpg (105418 bytes)    Western Southern-aa.jpg (103101 bytes)    Western Southern-bb.jpg (137514 bytes)
West side of Broadway between fourth and Fifth Sts.

Western & Southern Building.jpg (957022 bytes)
Present day photograph

 

TRACTION  BUILDING

Traction Building 1.jpg (124292 bytes)    Traction Building 2.jpg (111849 bytes)    Traction Building-21.jpg (240983 bytes)    Traction Building 4.jpg (112942 bytes)    Traction Building 6.jpg (121467 bytes)    traction-a2.jpg (106923 bytes)    traction-a3.jpg (111927 bytes)

Traction Building 5.jpg (66727 bytes)    Traction Building horz 1.jpg (115762 bytes)    Traction Building 2 horiz.jpg (121015 bytes)    Skyscrapers-aa.jpg (95989 bytes)    traction-a1.jpg (80426 bytes)

Traction Building.jpg (130104 bytes)

   Located on the s. e. corner of 5th and Walnut. The Building you see behind it is the Mercantile Library Building. The last image is a black & white present day photograph.

 

FOR MORE DOWNTOWN BUILDINGS:

 

 

jordan 6 sport blue sport blue 3s new jordans michael kors outlet sport blue 3s louis vuitton outlet sport blue 6s michael kors outlet louis vuitton outlet wolf grey 3s cheap jordan shoes coach outlet online jordan 6 sport blue jordan 6 sport blue Louis Vuitton Outlet Louis Vuitton Outlet jordan 3 sport blue louis vuitton outlet louis vuitton outlet cheap jordans