Precious Find On The Doorstep
The first card is a very rare Kraemer card that
seems to show a baby that was left on a doorstep of this home.
The first two groups of cards I thought were perfectly suited to each other. Orphans and the elderly, the alpha and omega in the cycle of life both needing the care of others to survive. All of these organizations were started by people in the various religions of the area, hence their inclusion in this section.
Not a postcard
The home moved to this site on West Ninth Street in 1878, where it remained for 40 years. It was founded in the West End in 1864 by Quaker Murray Shipley who named it the Penn Mission. Due to the Civil War many children were in dire straits. Shipley was determined to help them regardless of their social standing or race and he used his own money to open this home.
THE BOYS' HOME OF CINCINNATI
Not a postcard
526 Sycamore St. Center card shows ad for their magazine.
HOUSE OF REFUGE
Located next door to the City Workhouse in Camp Washington. This was really one of the early reformatories that opened in 1850, but also included unwanted children.
German Orphan Home General (German) Protestant Home
Occupying the block bounded by Highland, Melish, and Burnet Avenues and Donahue Street., the German Orphans Home was founded in 1849 as the German General Protestant Orphan Home after a cholera epidemic swept thru Cincinnati leaving countless children as orphans. The name was changed to Beech Acres in 1950.
St Aloysius Orphan Home 4721 Reading Rd. in Bond Hill
The St. Aloysius Orphanage was established in 1837
thus becoming the first such institution in the Cincinnati area. The large
central structure seen in the cards above and below surmounted by a dome and
cross replaced the original buildings in 1861. The two story building was added
in 1910 and the Chapel was built in 1922. The card below is mis-named, I
believe, since I can find no information about the orphanage changing its name.
The home was run for 130 years by the Sisters of Notre Dame.
The future for this complex is now in doubt. It is now being run as a non-profit organization with counselors, therapists, and caseworkers who help kids with severe mental and behavioral problems and their families. They also train foster parents, run a school for troubled kids, and operates a temporary respite home for children with acute psychiatric problems. The problem is the building is so old it needs major renovations in order to comply with current school standards.
A major $19.5 million renovation and expansion of the facilities is expected to be completed by the end of 2012.With this expansion the number of children it serves will increase from 600 to 800. On September 27, 2012 the orphanage was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
St. Mary's Orphan Asylum
St. Vincent Home for Boys Presbyterian Orphans
Home. Mt. Auburn
ST. JOSEPH INFANT ASYLUM
Dinner and Lunch
The Sisters of Charity of Cincinnati established the St. Joseph Infant Asylum in 1873 on Reading Road at Tennessee Ave. to serve as a maternity home for young women as well as a foundling home for infants. It also included a maternity hospital. According to their archives, in the first 100 years, they had cared for 15,000 babies and 10,000 young women. When the maternity hospital closed in 1954, the name was changed to St. Joseph Infant and Maternity Home. In 1967 the facilities moved to Wyscarver Road in Sharonville and added a high school for young women waiting to give birth so they could continue to earn a degree. In 1990 the name was changed to St. Joseph Home.
OLD AGE HOMES
The Altenheim or German Old Men's Home is located in Avondale at Burnet and Elland Avenues. (See City Hospital cards)
Dynamite explosion Annual Spring Festival held at The Altenheim 6/6/26
On March 18, 1907 250 lbs. of dynamite that was stored next door to the Altenheim on the site of the new General Hospital that was being built at Burnet and Goodman Avenues. It had been ignited, supposedly, by a disgruntled employee. The blast heard as far away as Fort Thomas, Kentucky left a hole 15 feet across and 10 feet deep with splinters from the wooden shed found embedded in trees a block away. The Altenheim sustained $10,000 in damages and had to asked for public donations. An estimated 50,000 people came to view the damage. At the time there was no laws governing the storage of dynamite.
Organized in 1891 as a home for elderly German men by many influential Germans living in Cincinnati. As a result of the first World War the Altenheim's name was changed to the Cincinnati Old Men's Home, and then later it became the Home for Aged Men. After the building was acquired by the Children's Hospital in 1966, it was demolished.
METHODIST HOME FOR THE AGED
Laying the cornerstone
Wilson Chapel Art Room New Residence Hall
In 1903 publisher Obed J. Wilson donated his family's summer home in College Hill to the United Methodist Home for the Aged along with 20 acres and $10,000. The first institution of its kind in Ohio had burned to the ground in 1902 and needed a new location. The building that temporarily housed the home in Granville, Ohio, also caught fire so a lot of attention was made to insure the new building was constructed with fire protection in mind. Wilson later donated $70,000 more plus building an art gallery into which he donated his art collection. The Wilson Chapel and Art Room, seen above, are still part of the home.
5343 Hamilton Ave, College Hill
In 1939 a new, south wing, was constructed giving it a second tower and thus became known as The Twin Towers seen in the cards directly above.
Little Sisters of the Poor. Home for Old Folks
Montgomery Road 476 Riddle Road in Clifton
TO SEE MORE CHARITIES