In the 1860's one could always spot a newcomer to the city by the black smudges on his nose. This was caused by the heavy pall of smoke spewing from the many industries and railroads of the local Mill Creek and Deer Creek valleys. The native Cincinnatian had a special technique of blowing upwards at regular intervals to remove the soot flakes from his face.
The American Glass Co. C.R. Talbott Co. s.e. cor. Spring Grove & Alfred
s.e. cor. Clark & Harriet
The Crane & Breed Mfg. 1231 West 8th St.
The Crane & Breed Casket Company was one of five casket makers in the Cincinnati area. They were in business from 1853 to 1977. In 1865 the casket they designed was chosen for President Lincoln's burial. In 1906 they built the nation's first automobile hearse. The last image above is a early illustration of their factory.
Cincinnati Coffin Co. Fillmore & Richmond (South of Union Terminal)
Casket Hardware Department Plating Room
You can see many of the Cincinnati Coffin Company's cards on the Sets Page.
The Eagle White Lead Co. Edna Brass Mfg. Co. The Richardson Taylor-Globe Corp.
520 Reading Road 4501 W. Mitchell Ave.
The Eagle White Lead Co. was established in 1843 at 1020-1030 Broadway.
The J.A. Fay Co. The Egan Co. The J.A. Fay & Egan Co.
The J. A. Fay & Egan Co. n.w. cor. John & Front St.
The J. A. Fay & Egan Co. was formed by the 1893 merger of Cincinnati-based rivals J. A. Fay & Co., and the Egan Co. It continued the position of its predecessor companies as one of the world's largest manufacturers of woodworking machinery.
1893 Ad. 1898 Masthead
The 1893 merger was not a one-step procedure. It seems that the two
parent firms created a co-owned entity, J. A. Fay & Egan Co., but each
continued to operate fairly independently for several years.
Fay & Egan fell onto hard times by 1928, and then went bankrupt in 1937. It was acquired by Walter F. Schott from the Egan family. Schott sold many assets but continued the woodworking machinery manufactory. In 1957, a fire destroyed many foundry patterns.
The J. A. Fay & Co. was founded in 1861 by William Howard Doane who has recently (7-23-2011) come into the spotlight. In addition to being one of the most prominent manufacturers of woodworking and metalworking machinery and a renowned inventor with over 100 patents, he was also an accomplished musician, sang in choirs from age 6, and also began composing when he was 16. From his many trips overseas he accumulated a vast amount of musical instruments that he packed into his music room.
He donated about 650 of his instruments to the Cincinnati Art Museum around the turn of the century. He donated more over the years but due to lack of room to showcase them, the instruments became buried in the museums vast underground storage rooms. They have just been "rediscovered" and they have been determined to be one of the greatest collection of musical instruments of the world in the world. They are now in the process of being cleaned of the grime that has collected from over a century of storage.
S.P. Egan Thomas Egan President
Newspaper Artists Drawings
Triumph Mfg. Co.
3400-08 Spring Grove Ave.
Machinery for Bakeries
Robert Mitchell Furniture Co. Central, 2nd, John & Augusta Sts.
In 1847 Robert Mitchell and Frederick Rammelsberg
started up a furniture making business. They had both arrived in Cincinnati
around 1830 and had boarded together, apprenticed at the same time and had tried
partnering together earlier with other woodworkers. Rammelsberg is credited with
being the first woodworker to use machinery in the making of furniture. Mitchell
was active in the business community and a developer of Avondale. Cincinnati at
the time of their merger was considered the leader in furniture making in the
West. Most cabinetmakers were clustered around 2nd Street as that was where the
lumberyards, rail, and river transportation was located. Their first factory on
the southwest corner of 2nd & John Sts. burned down in December 1848. Within
months one of the largest mechanized factories for the production of furniture
was up and running at the same location. In the late 1860's the partners had
acquired the land on the southeast corner of 2nd & John Sts. and erected a
6-story 80' by 150' "wareroom" to showcase their products to
prospective customers, and from which they shipped out their products. They
branched out to several cities and became the most important furniture makers in
In 1873 a new retail store was opened on 4th street, they also increased the number of factory buildings by two, bought several lumber yards, and even constructed residence halls for their workers. In 1881 the name of the company was changed to the Robert Mitchell Furniture Company and continued to make furniture under the direction of Mitchell's sons until 1939.
Monitor Stove & Range Co. C. H.& D. RR. North of Gest
S. Obermayer Co. 647 Evans Newspaper Drawing Not a postcard
KAHN'S & SONS CO.
The E. Kahn's Sons Co. Kahn's postcard during the bicentennial Not a postcard
Elias Kahn opened a meat market on Central Avenue in 1882. A year
later he was slaughtering calves, lamb, and poultry in the rear of his store. By
1885 he was slaughtering cattle at Findlay & John Sts. and had, by this
time, 3 stores in downtown Cincinnati, Avondale, and Walnut Hills. By that time
he had named his enterprise E. Kahn's and Sons Co. because his 4 sons had joined
him in the company. Louis W. Kahn became president and general executive officer
and he remained president until his death in 1948. Nathan Kahn was a director
and vice president until his death in 1936. He was in charge of purchasing
animals for slaughter and supervised the poultry-dressing division and the
slaughter of small stock at the packing plant.
Eugene Kahn worked at the plant until 1909 when he then took over the management of the company's five retail food stores. They were gradually sold off because the meat packing business completely overshadowed them. When the last store was sold in 1926 Eugene went back to the meat packing operation. Albert Kahn was the company's treasurer and plant manager until his death in 1948.
They constructed a new plant at 3241 Spring Grove Avenue in 1928 which was updated in 1949. The 250,000 square foot plant was continuously updated thereafter. When Louis Kahn died in 1948 the presidency was passed to a grandson of Elias Kahn, Milton J. Schloss who had started working in the slaughterhouse when he was 14.
The company was bought by Consolidated Food Corp. of Chicago in 1966 and Schloss remained as chairman of Kahn's and vice president and founder of the Consolidated meat group. Since then Consolidated has purchased Rudy's Farm of Nashville and Hillshire Farm of New London, Wisconsin.
The facility, known by then as part of Sara Lee Co., was closed in 2006 and donated to Hamilton County in 2007. Vestige Redevelopment Group of Walnut Hills bought the site in 2011 for $600, 000 cash and assumed more than $400, 000 in grant obligations. More than $5 million has been invested in preparing the property for potential users.
Today's Hillshire Brands Kahn's "wiener the world awaited" still reigns as the official hot dog of the Cincinnati Reds.
THE H. H. MEYER PACKING COMPANY
The H. H. Meyer Packing Co.
2115 Linn Street
The H. H. Meyer Packing Co. became one of Cincinnati's largest meat
processing firms. The company was founded by Henry Meyer & George Huschart.
Henry Meyer started out as a bookkeeper at his father-in-laws firm, Anderegg
& Roth, on Front Street. This company started out as a commission merchants
operation in 1869, and then expanded into meatpacking. This operation moved out
to the Mill Creek Valley close to the Union Stockyards in 1873 at Freeman Avenue
and Gest Street.
After John Anderegg's death in 1882 Henry Meyer moved up in the company, now known as the Roth-Meyer Packing Co., and became Vice-President. At the same time Meyer and his cousin, George Huschart, started up another company on their own. Their first attempt in the 1870's failed but, in 1888, they purchased the former Adam Metz packing house on Clarkson Street in Brighton. In 1892 Meyer left Roth-Meyer to run the new firm, known as Meyer & Huschart. One year later Meyer bought out Huschart and the company became the H. H. Meyer Packing Co.
The company flourished with its popular Partridge brand meats plus
the company was one of the first packers to use mechanical refrigeration and
thus became the city's leading pork packer at the turn of the century. After his
death his son and then his grandson continued to head the company between 1926
and 1957. The company continued to expand and eventually contained 26 buildings
on 3.9 acres with around 550 employees.
It was purchased by the John Morrell Company of Chicago in 1964 and continued operation until 1982 when it ceased operation as a meatpacker. Other buildings continued to be used as a distribution center.
Roth-Meyer Packing Co. John C. Roth Packing Co. 1010 Oehler St.
74 Gest Street
The Roth Packing Co. were packers of the celebrated "Dove Brand" of Sugar-Cured Meats and refiners of the "Dove Brand" lard.
Canvassing Dept. 1 0f 40 Curing Cellars Packing/Shipping Depts. Roth Office
Charles Roth Treasurer J. G. Roth Joseph L. Roth The Whole Clan
The C. Schmidt Co. 1712 John Street
The Lippincott Food Co. Samuel C. Tatum Co.
42-50 Main St. Colerain Ave. & Monmouth St.
*Thanks to Scott Kabakoff Across from City Workhouse
The Edwards Lumber Co. 8th & Horne Sts.
The Ault & Wiborg Company. 7th and Culvert Streets Card for the 1912 Printers Convention
The Geo. H. Strietmann's Sons Co. s. e. cor. 12th & Plum Not a postcard
8 East Third Street Back of card on left
UBIKO MILLING COMPANY
The 2nd card above is not a postcard but it is related and interesting. The 1st postcard has been trimmed.
East End Gas Works
The Standard Publishing Co. Wm. T. Johnston Co.
s. e. cor. 9th and Cutter sts. 3rd and Vine
J. & F. Schroth Packing Co.
Fountain Square was obviously not across the street from this company. It was located on the SWC. of Cormany Ave. and Township. Cormany Avenue no longer exists having been removed during the construction of I-75. It was located near where Hopple St. Viaduct is. Thanks to the great granddaughter of Frederick Schroth, Connie Hayes Strickland, I can now understand why Fountain Square is shown. The fountain was the logo of one of their products, "Fountain Brand Meats". Connie also supplied the Schroth WW II ad.